August 19, 2013

Drugstore Makeup Haul

Normally, I can be a little bit of a makeup snob. Presentation is half the shopping experience, and it is really hard to choose the harshly lit and haphazardly arranged aisles of a drugstore over the perfection that is Sephora or a department store cosmetics counter. After watching several of Jaclyn Hill's amazingly helpful makeup tutorials, I decided to see if I could find any hidden treasures at the drugstore. Here's what I left with:

(clockwise from top)
 

Physician's Formula highlighting powder

This has been popping up on my Pinterest feed like crazy. After trying it, I totally understand why! It highlights your cheekbones as well as any of the expensive highlighting powders, and even comes with a perfectly sized brush.

Revlon 24 hour foundation

I have been using BB cream for the last few months. Backpacking Europe doesn't really require a full face of makeup. However, with more events and nights out now, I wanted to find a new foundation. This one came recommended by the aforementioned Jaclyn Hill. It feels silky smooth, and comes in a ton of shades. I'm also loving the weighty container and simple packaging (again, presentation scores big with me).

Sonia Kashuk Super Sheer Liquid Tint (in Poppy)

My makeup pet peeve is the muddy bronzer look that inevitably shows up on at least one person in every bar. I get the love of contouring and the attraction of a sunkissed glow, but seriously - you are not naturally that tan (read: orange). Choosing a bronzer without shimmer helps prevent the muddy look, but so does using a blush along with your bronzer. This color looks pretty intimidating at first, but blends into your skin beautifully! I'm sold.

Maybelline SuperStay 10 Hr Stain Gloss (in Pink Flush)

I generally am not that enthusiastic about lip products. Give me Smith's Rosebud Salve and the occasional gloss and I'm a happy girl. I want to start experimenting with brighter shades though, and I thought a cheap one would be a good place to start. My only complaint is the super weird applicator shape. I just used a lip brush to apply it.

e.l.f stipple brush

Until recently I hadn't tried applying foundation with anything but a plain old makeup sponge, but consider me a converted woman. Stippling on your base gives the lightest, most natural coverage. This one was super cheap ($3), but it works just fine for me.

 
Any other hidden gems I should know about?
 
Cheers,
Rachel
 

3 comments:

  1. I love a good makeup haul!! I agree, I can be a makeup snob too and I'm a sucker for Benefit Cosmetics because of the super fun packaging an awesome product quality... But there are plenty of awesome finds at drugstores too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore Benefit! I just picked up my birthday gift from Sephora and have been loving the highlighter stick and mascara.

      Delete
  2. I love elf brushes! What a great haul!
    Follow me back? Trying to reach 200 followers....
    -Jenna <3

    ReplyDelete

Fancy seeing you here.

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading and responding!